Saturday, March 12, 2011

Great shrimp!

After years of trying to find the perfect recipe for fried shrimp I think I may have finally found it.

You would think a fried shrimp recipe would be easy. Not for me. Every one I tried was either too doughy, too crispy, too spicy. You get the idea.

I experimented with a lot of different mixes — pre-made and on my own. The recipe that follows is the best so far.

The coating isn't too thick or too crispy. And it's just the right amount of seasoning.

The onion ring batter is something I just tried today. It turned out pretty good, but these are still a work in progress. Try them both and let me know what you think.

This goes great with a side of coleslaw or green salad.

Helen's Fried Shrimp

1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1-2 lbs. raw, peeled and deviened shrimp
oil for frying

Combine egg and milk and mix well. Add shrimp and let sit for 10 minutes.
Combine dry ingredients. Heat oil in large fry pot.
Dredge shrimp in dry mix. Shake off excess coating and drop into hot oil. Fry until golden brown (approximately 3-5 minutes)

Beer-battered Onion Rings

1/4 cup flour
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 cup flour
2 tbl. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 beer (I used Miller Lite)

Place sliced onion rings in 1/4 cup flour to coat

In a separate bowl combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and pepper. Add enough beer to make a thin batter (not too thin). Dip onion rings in batter and shake off excess. Fry in hot oil about 5-7 minutes or until golden.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Would the shrimp batter work great on chicken strips? You know I'm allergic to seafood! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That looks SO yummy! It looks like a picture from one of those New Orleans cooking magazines! I could imagine how those shrimp would be on some po'boy bread!

    ReplyDelete